The Latina/o Health Literacy Research Group
Welcome to the Latina/o Health Literacy Research Group in the Department of Kinesiology and Community Health. Our goal is
to reduce inequities in healthcare related to cancer and mental health with ethnic minorities, specifically the Latino community.
We aim to accomplish this goal by:
- examining cultural factors that influence cancer screening and survivorship,
- conducting systematic community-based assessments of cancer education and mental health needs,
- providing guidelines for the development of community-informed health literacy materials, and
- developing measures to assess health literacy in immigrant populations.
Our efforts focus on understanding and promoting health literacy to empower Latinas/os who often are underserved in clinical
settings and underrepresented in the research literature. Projects from the lab have been federally funded by the National
Institutes of Health and published widely in professional journals, including:
- The Counseling Psychologist
- Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
- Health Promotion Practice.