Frequently Asked Questions

classroom with about 50 students


Question: I am a prospective student. Who do I contact to learn more about the application process and my chances of "getting in" to the university?

Answer: Contact the Office of Admissions and Records at 217-333-0302 to set an appointment with an admissions counselor.

Back To Top


Question: Where do I send my transcripts from transfer classes that I have taken?

Answer: An official transcript must come directly from the college registrar's office, and not from the student. It is also helpful to have an additional copy sent to the Undergraduate Studies Director to expedite the preparation of graduation lists. Students completing course work at other colleges at anytime prior to graduation must request that an official transcript of the work be sent to:

The Office of Admissions and Records
University of Illinois
901 W. Illinois
Urbana, IL 61801


Back To Top


Question: I am currently a student at UIUC and I want to transfer into the Kinesiology/Community Health dept. How do I do this?

Answer: Those interested in transferring into Kinesiology should call 333-2461 and those interested in transferring into Community Health should call 333-2307 to make an appointment to see an advisor. Overall, you will need a 3.0 gpa to enter the department. The advisor you speak with will provide you with deadlines and the application for transfer. The application will ask for background info, your academic history, previous courses taken, experiences and other pertinent information. You will also be asked to write a brief personal statement explaining why you would like to be in the department, any experiences you have had that have influenced your choice to enter the department and what your future goals may be. More specific program applications requirements will be discussed in your advising appointment.

Back To Top


Question: I want to transfer into the Kinesiology/Community Health Department at UIUC. I am coming from another college or university. What are the requirements to get in?

Answer: Typically, it takes 60 semester hours and a gpa of 3.0 at your previous institution. However, there are some exceptions that apply. Contact the Office of Admissions and Records and schedule an appointment with an admissions counselor. Then, stop over to room 155 Freer for Kinesiology or room 126 Huff Hall for Community Health to speak with an advisor.

Back To Top


Question: I need to take CPR/First Aid classes. Who should I contact?

Answer: On campus, contact Illini Emergency Medical Services at 333-9492 or stop into 258 of the Illini Union. Courses and certification are offered throughout the semester.

Back To Top


Question: I am looking for information about med schools and grad schools. Where should I start?

Answer: The Advising office and your advisors can help you begin the process. Make an appointment with your advisor to sit down and discuss your options and how to begin the search for a school that fits you. Additionally, the Career Center on campus has a library full of resources on schools to help you in your search. Also, browse schools form this website by clicking on graduate schools on the front page!

Back To Top


Question: Do I need to make an appointment to see an advisor?

Answer: The advisors take walk-ins throughout the day on a first come first serve basis. Appointments can be made anytime and assure students a set block of time in which they can meet with their advisor. During the heavy pre-registration periods, only appointments will be honored. Advisors should be consulted when making changes to course schedules to ensure the student is making progress toward their degree.

Back To Top


Question: I am interested in scholarship offered in the Department of Kinesiology and Community Health and the College of AHS. Where do I start?

Answer: Stop by room 155 Freer Hall for Kinesiology students and room 268 Huff Hall for Community Health students and receive information about available scholarships and awards. See the AHS homepage for more information about available scholarships.

Back To Top


Question: How do I find out more about the James Scholar Program and about taking classes for Honors Credit?

Answer: Visit the James Scholar web page. James Scholars are awarded by invitation only each semester. You may apply to be a James Scholar AFTER receiving the invitation on–line at the website. If you are interested in Honors credit for a class, you will need to complete an Honor Credit Learning Agreement from room 155 Freer Hall.

Back To Top


Question: Can I take classes at Parkland and the U of I at the same time?

Answer: Yes. You will need to complete a concurrent enrollment form that is filled out by both your advisor and a Parkland representative. You may in fact be enrolled at both colleges for a given semester. For more information and the concurrent enrollment form, Kinesiology students see your advisor in 155 Freer Hall and Community Health students go to room 126 Huff Hall.

Back To Top


Question: I am thinking about declaring a minor but I am unsure what minors are approved. How do I find out more information about minors? Also, is there a minor in Kinesiology?

Answer: Visit the minors web page at: You will find a listing of University approved minors and a list of courses included in those minors. Currently, there is no minor in Kinesiology. However, there is the opportunity for a minor in Gerentology and also the opportunity to earn an endorsement in Coaching. If you are interested in these areas, please speak with a Kines advisor.

Back To Top


Question: I would like some more information on your Teacher Certification Program.

Answer: The Kinesiology and Community Health department has a top notch teacher certification program. Students interested in teaching should consult an advisor. Students must apply into the Teacher Cert. program and must have a 2.5 gpa, complete an application, and have made successful progress in their Kines courses. To better understand the requirements and procedures, make an appointment to discuss the program with your advisor.

Back To Top


Question: What can I do with a degree in Kinesiology and Community Health?

Answer: A degree in Kinesiology offers you the opportunity to do a great number of things. Professional options include but are not limited to:


  • Athletic training
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Physician
  • Physician Assistant
  • Chiropractor
  • Cardiac Rehab
  • Corporate Fitness
  • Personal Training
  • Research Scientist
  • Public/Private School Teaching
  • Athletic Administration
  • Coaching
  • Athletic Director
  • Health Promotion
  • Rehabilitation
  • Exercise Physiology
  • Graduate Study
  • Sport Journalism
  • Medical Illustration

Answer: A Community Health degree also offers you a great number of opportunities. Here are a few suggestions:

Community Health

  • Health Care Consulting
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Epidemiology
  • Physician Assistant
  • Nursing
  • Health Education Specialist
  • Health Management
  • Quality Assurance
  • Public Health Educator
  • Health Administration
  • Health Promotion

Back To Top